Monday, February 12, 2007

How Did I Get Here From There?

"To study the way, is to study the self. To study the self is to forget the self. To forget the self is to be awakened to all things." Dogen

How did I get to be travelling with Spirit, or by the Spirit, in Mexico? I have asked myself this question several times. The seed for this journey was planted 7 years ago, though really it was planted a long long time ago. The final impetus that led me to where I am now came 6 months ago. So as not to be exceedingly ordinary, let`s start from the end and head towards the beginning of this story.

If you have never tuned into Rob Breszney`s Astrology, then I would highly recommend that you do -- google him to find out more! In his newsletter of Jan 31st, his prediction for my sign describes precisely the final impetus for deciding to leave my regular job and `normal` life, some 6 months earlier. He said "It is a scary responsibility to give people astrological advice. What if I suggested that you call in sick (even though you`re not sick) so you could wander off into the Great Unknown in quest of close encounters with mind blowing teachings? And what if in the course of following my suggestions you learned so many lessons about how to permanently expand your frontiers that you then decided to burn down a bridge to nowhere and give away your emotional baggage and live in greater devotion to your soul`s radically simple needs? Could I then get sued by someone in your life who really doesn`t want you to escape your traps?"

Well, 2 and a half years ago, when I when for the first time to the Little big Medicine Sundance, to volunteer as a healer for the sundancers and local indigenous community, I was introduced to a Mexican American medicine man who had spent years studying the traditions of the Huicholes or the Wirriraca people. After I attended a ceremony that Masauke conducted at his altar, I was invited to come to the healing centre he was building in the desert to receive a blessing. Well, needless to say I was not mentally, emotionaly, or spiritually ready to go at that time. I told myself I couldn`t go bacause I was preparing for a karate black belt grading but the truth is, this medicine man and his path scared me. BUT, he had opened up a door in my consciousness or my awareness, that try as I might, I could not close again.

I continued with my regular life and the next year when I went back to do my volunteer healing work at the Sundance, as I expected, he was there. During the ceremony I went to pay my respects to him and his altar. On the final day of the sundance I was invited to spend a few days in the healing centre that he is affiliated with in Arizona. I decided to go and ended up staying there for 4 days, instead of the 1 day I had planned. For those of you who have read Carlos Casteneda, my visit there was like something out of Carlos`books... Every time I was ready to leave something would happen so that I could not go. The Spirit was showing me a new path that I was not aware of. My adventures at the Healing Centre in Arizona are the topic for another entry but my stay there convinced me that I shuld accept the invitation to the healing centre in the Mexican desert.

In September I was off to the desert. Arriving in San Antonio Texas, i was met by one of his associates/apprentices that I knew from the sundance. After a wonderful Mexican dinner the healer`s partner put me on the overnight bus to the desert. I was met at the bus station and thus began what Rob Breszny describes as mind-blowing teachings.

This was not my first introduction to the medicine world. I had been on this path for many many years, but this was the first ime that I truly experiences what many spiritual paths describe as the direct connection withthe divine. I have been meditating for almost two decades, practicing many different forms of martial arts and using a variety of healing techniques to raise my energetic vibration and it was as though all the paths I had been following had finally come together and provided me with a direct connnection to the knowledge of the divine .. the spirit, the Creator.

I did as Rob B suggested and call my boss to borrow on my future holidays so that I could stay and extra week to go to visit one of the local sacred sites. I returned a person transformed. I knew that I was being called to follow a different path, though I was not sure what that path was or how I would financially be able to embark down yet another new road. I handed in my resignation for teh end of the year, decided to accept the invitation to come and learn more about this healing path and to find my personal path, and here I am!

Well, that`s enough of that story for now. There will be more to follow ...

Lessons learned: 1) Always listen to teh whisperings of your heart. It will never lead you astray, 2) Cultivate a good relationship with your inner self so that you are open to the whisperings of your heart. Do not ignore or deny them, or you will lead a life that was not meant for you. 3) Seven years ago I ws told by an Anishnawbe medicine man that "The longest road is from the mind to the heart". I am just beginning to understand this lesson.. having spent many years cultivating my mind it has been a real challange to learn to listen to my heart, bu the heart is where many traditional cultures believe our real knowledge and true wisdon lies. Do not deny or ignore the teachings of the heart!

Stay tuned! StayWell and travel with Spirit in Beuaty and Truth, Spirit Traveller.

No comments: