Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Staying Well in San Rafael

"Be grateful for whoever comes, for each has been sent as a guide from beyond" Rumi

Here I am actively trying to staywell in the desert and to trust that I am being taken care of by the Divine spirit. Some days it is harder than others.

This morning I started an Exercise Club for the women from the nearby town. We started with two women only - a mother and daughter, who had previously both asked me if I could suggest something they could do to lose weight. I had given them a number of suggestions including soem dietary changes, a liver flush and some simple exercises. I am not sure that they followed any of my suggestions for ore than a few days.

I decided to take the bull by the horns and have been have been sharing my dinners with a family of women, mother and 2 daughters, who all want to lose weight. I have been showing them how to cook nutritious low fat vegetarian meals that they can intersperse with their regular fare which is much higher in salt, fried foods and sugar. I am operating on the principle of "each one, teach one" and suggesting that they share what they are learning with their friends. I was pleasantly surprized when I went to eat at their house that they served me food that was very much along the lines of what I had been serving them. Now, if only I can convince them to stop snacking on the chips and cookies and to cut down on the fried foods!!

Anyway, today I started the Exercise Club because despite the fact that I had suggested that they do some simple exercises every day or go for a walk every morning or evening, they had not changed their daily routine to include more activity. So, I suggested that they accompany me when I went for my morning walk. They met me at the healing centre and we walked from there to the Panteon, the local graveyard, which is about a 15 minute walk. There we did a few chi gung exercises and then continued our walk back towards the town -- about a half an hour of extra activity added to their day, and I had company during my daily routine!

They agreed to make this a regular event - twice a week. Let`s see how well this works. I have also suggested that each one invite one more person. So far I have taught several karate classes and a few tai chi classes in the past 5 weeeks, but not to any groups that are here on a regular basis, so this may be my first regular `teaching` gig. It will keep the wheels of my body and mind oiled and help the local women to keep fit. StayingWell for all!!

Lessons learned: 1) If you can`t help everyone, then help one person or one family; 2) Tell me and I may remember, but involve me and I will never forget; 3) It`s more fun sharing our knowledge than keeping it to ourselves.

Stay tuned! Staywell and travel with Spirit in Beauty and Truth, Spirit Traveller

No comments: